Blues Musicians - Want Your Gigs Listed On This Calendar?

Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas Blues Musicians - Want to see your weekly gigs listed on this calendar and have them read live on the air on KNON's BIG TEXAS BLUES program?

Email (no texts, messages to this blog or Facebook posts accepted) your gigs for the upcoming week NO LATER THAN Sunday Evening to: bluelisablues@aol.com

Please include the following:
Your name * Band Name (if Applicable) * If it is full band gig, solo or duo * Name of Venue * City Venue is located in * Time your show starts and ends

Remember - this is a BLUES calendar posted on a BLUES blog and read on a BLUES radio show, so please only include BLUES gigs. Also, only include shows within the Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas area.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KENNY CHAVEZ!!

This Thursday, August 3rd, is the birthday of one of my very favorite people, my bass player Kenny Chavez.

Although I was really sad when my last bass player, Lenno Summers, told me he was leaving the band, Kenny has managed to do something amazing for me. After 20+ years of playing, he made gigging fun for me again. Matter of fact, I'm having the most fun with my current line-up than I have since my rock and roll road band in the 80's. All of them are great musicians that get my sarcastic sense of humor without taking offense. (And I've recently been hurt by someone letting me know not everyone finds my sense of humor funny.) You should hear the off-mic on-stage banter between me, Kenny, Rob Donavan & Darrin Denny. But, then again, maybe you shouldn't: you should just keep thinking we're all really sweet, nice people!

In addition to being a great bandmate, Kenny's also a true and loyal friend, something I've really needed in these last couple of very trying months. I've always valued loyalty in my friendships, but after the beating I've taken this year when I've had to realize two of my closest "friends" were not, in actuality, my friends at all, it has become even more precious to me.

But enough of this touchy-feely crap. I like him, and it's his birthday. We'll be celebrating it at the jam Wednesday night at Purdy's, where the ladies (and, who knows, maybe some of the men) will be lining up to spank him. But that's the same as every Wednesday, now isn't it? So I'll think of something else we can do to celebrate.

I'm just hoping that because it's his birthday, he doesn't chose to wear his birthday suit to the party!

No comments: