Blues Musicians - Want Your Gigs Listed On This Calendar?

Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas Blues Musicians - Want to see your weekly gigs listed on this calendar and have them read live on the air on KNON's BIG TEXAS BLUES program?

Email (no texts, messages to this blog or Facebook posts accepted) your gigs for the upcoming week NO LATER THAN Sunday Evening to: bluelisablues@aol.com

Please include the following:
Your name * Band Name (if Applicable) * If it is full band gig, solo or duo * Name of Venue * City Venue is located in * Time your show starts and ends

Remember - this is a BLUES calendar posted on a BLUES blog and read on a BLUES radio show, so please only include BLUES gigs. Also, only include shows within the Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas area.

Monday, July 03, 2006

BLUE LISA'S SCOTTISH ADVENTURE!!

Greetings from Aberdeen, Scotland. I had some pretty big expectations upon my arrival, since this is the trip I've always wanted to take, and I have to say, I have not been disappointed at all in anything! The views of the countryside are spectacular, the people are very warm and friendly (especially the men who are just adorable!), and my shows have been VERY well received. The Dundee Blues Bonanza is a huge event, and literally on every corner there's a poster for the event with my name on it! How cool is that - they're everywhere!! And I'm not even going to pretend I didn't get a constant buzz from it all - I am on cloud nine! Wooo-hooo!!!

As a bonus, I saw lots of men in kilts! Once passing a church where the ladies were entering for a wedding with thier very British hats and the men were decked out in thier finest dress tarten kilts. And again, in the main town square where a kilted Scottish bagpipe and drumm band were doing an outdoor performance.

I didn't get to meet as many of the local musicians at the festival as I would have liked, due to time restraints. Thursday night before heading for Dundee, I did see a really amazing one man band kind of act, a guitarist based here in Aberdeen named Gerry Jablonsky. He's a very skilled and innovative guitarist, but, ladies, well, you know how I like Eye Candy! And this guy is just gorgeous! (Hey, I still respect him as a musician!)

On Friday night we played the Bonanza opening event, "International Night" at The Marquee Club. My set with Son Henry ended the show, and we played to a packed house of very appreciative blues fans. What a blast! I just don't get enough chances to play with Son these days, so every time it's a treat for me. His band here are all great musicians and really nice guys as well.

The Scottish band "Lazy Poker" did a great job playing for me on Sunday when Son Henry got sick and had to go back to Aberdeen early. So yeah, I traveled 4,448 miles and played with a band I'd never even sat eyes on before! I was worried that Son was feeling so bad, because he NEVER misses a gig. (Looks like it was a 24 hour bug of some kind - he's alright now,) But the show ended up still being cool and lots of fun. Really now, how upset do you think I could be - I'm in Scotland for God's sake with all these lovely, lovely Scottish men! This is hands down the happiest I've been in a very long time! Son Henry's guitarist Dave also stayed and played with me since he had learned the songs. Other than a few tiny bumps, the show went off without a hitch!

Dundee itself is a lovely city with really interesting old buildings and lots of lovely little shops lining the streets. Coming in from Aberdeen, I took a double decker bus (and sat at upstairs at the front) ang going back I rode the ScotRail train. On both trips, my view of the country side was amazing!

So there's your first report. I've got a little over a week to go, so I'm sure there will be more stories to come! (And no, I haven't been arrested. Yet.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Grandfather was born in Aberdeen and took me there before he died. I know you are having the time of your life and I am so happy for you! Thomas K. - KNON