Blues Musicians - Want Your Gigs Listed On This Calendar?

Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas Blues Musicians - Want to see your weekly gigs listed on this calendar and have them read live on the air on KNON's BIG TEXAS BLUES program?

Email (no texts, messages to this blog or Facebook posts accepted) your gigs for the upcoming week NO LATER THAN Sunday Evening to: bluelisablues@aol.com

Please include the following:
Your name * Band Name (if Applicable) * If it is full band gig, solo or duo * Name of Venue * City Venue is located in * Time your show starts and ends

Remember - this is a BLUES calendar posted on a BLUES blog and read on a BLUES radio show, so please only include BLUES gigs. Also, only include shows within the Dallas/Ft Worth/N Texas area.

Friday, August 27, 2010

20 Years Ago Today - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Alpine valley in the middle of the night
Six strings down on the heaven-bound flight
Got a pick, a strap, guitar on his back
Ain’t gonna cut the angels no slack
Heaven done called
Another blues-stringer back home

I must be the only person in Dallas who didn't know him personally (or maybe just one of the few honest enough to admit it.) Still, I had known and loved his music when I was a rocker, and after his death, when I read the books written about him, it was he who led me to Lou Ann Barton. That was how I entered this wonderful world of Blues. Thanks Stevie.

Strangely enough, the night of the 10th Anniversary, I was at one of Lou Ann's shows. Although I have been very lucky to have had many, many conversations with Lou Ann, she never mentioned Stevie's death - too painful, too personal I would imagine. But that night, on stage, she told us it had been 10 years ago that evening and how much she still missed him. Then she, Derek O'Brien and the rest of the band jumped into a tribute of sorts of the songs she and Stevie had done together. A beautiful, touching moment.

His Mom never liked people talking much about the anniversary - I think she thought it celebrated his death instead of his life. Even so, 20 years (20 years!! Can it really be 20 years?) is a milestone and I did talk about it briefly, respectfully on my show yesterday and played 4 of his songs, because of course, those songs are his legacy, and keep him alive in our hearts.

Buddy Whittington was my guest in the studio. He came in to talk about his new CD "A Bag Full Of Blues" (gotta check out the awesome "Hideaway Medley") Buddy, a native Texas guitar legend himself, and I talked about the anniversary of Stevie's passing. I played Buddy's excellent song "Stevie Rave On". It's one of my all time favorite SRV tributes because although heartfelt, it's upbeat and celebrates the positives of his life. (It's on Buddy's first solo release "Buddy Whittington" - get yourself a copy, the whole CD is stellar.) Buddy commented that when he's in Austin and he can, he makes a point of going by to see the statue and can't help but think "Not bad for a boy from Oak Cliff."

No, not bad at all.

Also, strangely (if you haven't figured out by listening to the stories on the radio show by now, my life is full of sometimes wonderful, sometimes painful strange occurrences) I also happened to be in Austin the day of the unveiling and dedication of the statue. I had read some time before that they were going to put one up, but I had no idea when. Just fate, I guess, that I was there. Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time. It was one of those big Texas blue sky days, and there was a feeling of love and comfort in the air. It was a day of healing. From what I know about him, I think Stevie would have been happy and proud.

So I think the fitting way to end this is with his own words. Most of us heard this song for the first time on the evening news because it got it's first public playing at his funeral here in Dallas at Laureland. I still think of it as the funeral song because of that, which is a shame, because when you listen to it, it's such a song of hope and looking forward to the future. And it is a reminder to us all that time is indeed ticking away. That is why I end my show every week by saying "Take care of yourselves, and take care of each other." You never know when the clock is going to stop for you or someone you love.

On August 27, 1990, Texas lost a true champion of the blues. But through the songs he left us, Stevie Rave On indeed!

"Tick Tock"
One night while sleeping in my bed I had a beautiful dream
That all the people of the world got together on the same wavelength
And began helping one another
Now in this dream universal love was the theme of the day
Peace and understanding and it happened this way
The sick, the hungry, had smiles on their faces
The tired and the homeless had family all around
The streets and the cities were all beautiful places
And the walls came tumblin' down
People of the world all had it together
Had it together for the boys and the girls
And the children of the world look forward to a future
Remember Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away
I had a vision of blue skies from sea to shining sea
All the trees in the forest stood strong and tall again
Everything was clean and pretty and safe for you and me
The worst of enemies became the best of friends
People of the world all had it together
Had it together for the boys and the girls
And the children of the world look forward to a future
Remember Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away
Remember that, remember that Remember that, remember that
People of the world all had it together
Had it together for the boys and the girls
And the children of the world look forward to a future
Remember Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away
Remeber that Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
Time's tickin' away

No comments: